Export volumes of coffee-producing countries January 2022

Coffee is grown in the lower half of the country with the most concentrated area being in the south from its border with Mexico to El Salvador and Honduras. Robusta makes up around 95% of Vietnamese coffee, with arabica making up the remaining 5%. Arabica makes up 69% of Brazilian coffee, with robusta making up the remaining 31%. Sweden — 8.2 kg/18 lbs — Swedes have a word, Fika, to describe an extended coffee break from work where you socialize with friends. In this article, we’ll focus on just one piece of that puzzle – coffee chains.

Coffee is brewed from roasted beans of the plant species Coffea, which is native to sub-Saharan Africa and individual islands in the Indian Ocean. A national legend credits the goat herder, Kaldi, with discovering the potential of coffee beans. Kaldi observed how energetic his goats became after eating berries from the coffee plant and ground the beans to brew a drink from them. In order for coffee to grow, the environment needs to reach certain requirements, one of which is an altitude level of a certain height.

  • Main producing areas are located around the country’s borders with Guatemala and Belize, as well as the Pacific coast and the Gulf of Mexico.
  • Millions of people consume coffee every day, and most don’t take into consideration how many mg of caffeine they are consuming.
  • Indonesia is one of many Asian countries that produces an impressively vast amount of coffee on an annual basis.
  • After coffee was introduced in Vietnam by the French colonialists, in the 1800s in the Buôn Ma Thuột region, Vietnam still grows and produces coffee there to this day.

Coffee is a well-known brewed beverage made from roasted coffee beans. Coffee is a popular beverage that is made by boiling the roasted beans of coffee fruits. Coffee has been enjoyed as a beverage for countless generations, and it has been consumed in a variety of nations.

For many nations, it is even the most important export product and for others, a safe ticket to active participation in the global economy. Today Honduras produces exclusively coffee of 100% Arabica variety. In fact, the country’s coffee growers refuse to plant the robusta variety, since they consider that such a mixture would be negative. The majority of the country’s coffee is produced in the western regions, particularly around the west side with El Salvador and in the vicinity of the city, Tegucigalpa.

Further reportsGet the best reports to understand your industry

In 2020, according to Statista, the country produced almost 14 million 60-kilogram bags. Colombian coffee is known worldwide for its excellent quality and mild flavor profiles, including notes of chocolate, nuts, herbs, and citrus (per Coffee Bean Corral). The world’s top 10 coffee consuming nations are in Europe, whereas most of the largest coffee producers are in developing countries with the right weather to grow coffee. The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf is an American coffee chain founded in 1963 and owned by Jollibee Foods Corporation. It is one of the largest coffee companies in the world with 1,200 stores located in Malaysia, Singapore, Arizona, and California. The coffee served at the stores is made from the top 1% of Arabica beans from the world’s best growing regions in East Africa, Latin America, and the Pacific.

However, over the past years, farmers have been given the opportunity to export to world markets, which has placed Peru as one of the largest producers of coffee. Peruvian coffee is known for its medium body, and nutty floral and fruit tones. This decline in coffee prices and production led to lost income and social issues throughout the nation of Mexico. Vietnam found a niche in the international market by focusing primarily on the less-expensive robusta bean.

Inland regions that produce arabica coffee are located east and south of the capital, Dodoma. Robusta is produced in the north near the border with Uganda and Rwanda. The Ivory Coast (or Côte d’Ivoire) comes in at fifteenth place and is probably another surprise to coffee drinkers as it’s known as the world’s largest producer of cocoa. The Ivory Coast produces 108,000 metric tons (238,000,000 pounds) of coffee. Honduras, the northernmost of Central American nations, comes in at number six. Approximately 390,000 metric tonnes of coffee are produced annually in Honduras.

  • Main growing regions are in the western half of Nicaragua, from its border in the north with Honduras through the central regions and on down to the northern tip of Lake Cocibolca.
  • As coffee is not nearly as popular as tea in India, 80% of the country’s coffee production is bound for export purposes, with the main buyers being Europe and Russia.
  • Colombian coffee is highly sought after because of its unique scent, subtlety, and fruity undertones.
  • The company was founded in 1992 and has over 421 locations across the country.
  • Though they may not be as internationally known as a top producer, the nation of Indonesia produced over 660,000 metric tons of coffee beans in 2016.

Sliding down the ranks in eleventh place is Guatemala in Central America. Guatemala produces 216,000 metric tons (476,000,000 pounds) of coffee, accounting for 2% of the world’s coffee. Peru produces 270,000 metric tons (595,000,000 pounds) of coffee, accounting for 2.4% of the world’s coffee. In sixth place is the first of the Central American countries, Honduras. Honduras produces 390,000 metric tons (860,000,000 pounds) of coffee.

Major coffee exporting countries worldwide 2021

Coffee is the second-most-exported commodity in the world after oil. The top coffee-producing countries globally are Brazil, Vietnam, and Colombia. The highest annual per-person consumption occurs in Scandinavian countries, where long, dark, and cold winters make coffee highly prized. In the United States, annual consumption https://1investing.in/ is about 4.4 kilograms or 9.7 lbs., making the U.S. only the 25th biggest consumer of coffee worldwide on a per-person basis. The average person in the U.S. consumes about three cups of coffee per day. Coffee is one of the most popular non-alcoholic beverages globally, prized for its aroma and caffeine content.

Coffee Consumption by Country 2023

Its production of 27,000 metric tons (60,000,000 pounds) of coffee means that 0.2% of the world’s coffee is coming from the Philippines. The total coffee output of Kenya today is almost a quarter of what it was in the ’80s and ’90s. Almost all of the coffee grown in Nicaragua is of the arabica variety, totalling 98%; however, in recent years a very small yield of robusta of just 2% is being produced annually. Production is mostly arabica, totalling over 97% of its coffee production, with less than 3% being of the robusta variety. Coffee-growing regions are spread throughout the lower half of India, with production being a mix of arabica and robusta. The ten countries that are reported as having the top highest rates of coffee production, in order of most coffee produced, are…

That figure means Honduras provides the world with 3.6% of the world’s coffee. In fourth place is Indonesia, which produces 642,000 metric tons (1,415,000,000 pounds) of coffee. The main growing regions for arabica are on the eastern side of Brazil running from Fortaleza in the north, down to its border with Uruguay in the south.

Top 10 Largest Producers Of Coffee In The World

In India, arabica and robusta are both produced, but robusta dominates production at 73%, with arabica making up the remaining 27%. All of the coffee produced in Honduras is of the arabica variety. All of the coffee produced in Ethiopia is of the superior arabica variety.

Leading coffee exporting countries worldwide in 2021

Eleven Coffees is the ultimate resource for learning everything you could want to know about coffee and the specialty coffee world. No doubt you’ve seen ‘100% Colombian Coffee’ on coffee packet labels at the supermarket. Colombian coffee stands apart in the minds of coffee consumers as something special. Millions of people consume coffee every day, and most don’t take into consideration how many mg of caffeine they are consuming. Here we will discuss things such as how many mg of caffeine in a…

The Ugandan Robusta beans are known for their wine-like acidity, with rich chocolatey notes. Their coffee is mostly grown in the southern states of Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. The bulk of Indian coffee exportation is exported through to European markets, where it is used in blended coffees. There has been a lot of change throughout the years as the amount of coffee produced increases and decreases.

Coffee is mainly produced in the west of the country, stretching from its border with Ecuador in the south to the border with Venezuela in the north. Iceland — 9 kg/20 lbs — Beer was illegal in Iceland until 1987, and wine is costly, so coffee has long been the most essential social drink in the country. It is customary in Iceland to offer any visitor a cup of coffee, and Icelanders have a stock reply, tíu dropar, or “ten drops,” to indicate that they just want a small cup. Finland — 12 kg/26 lbs — Finland is the world’s biggest consumer of coffee on a per-person basis. Coffee is so popular in Finland that two 10-minute coffee breaks are legally mandated for Finnish workers.