According to the 1860 inscription on the wall painting in the main room of the upper floor, the mansion was built before this date. The owner of the mansion is known as Lazaros Maymunoğlu. The building, used as a house before, now hosts cultural and artistic activities as The Cappadocia Art and History Museum. The mansion, whose original structure has been preserved to a great extent, includes many architectural and ornamental elements such as the elaborate stonework in the niches, tandoori, cupboard and sofa, as well as the wall paintings inside.
The two-storey building with a hipped roof has a polygonal plan. The main entrance door is located in a deep niche with a pointed arch on the southeast facade of the building. A closed hall is entered through the door. From here, stairs reach the open courtyard located on the northwest facade of the building. Access to the upper floor is provided by stairs from the courtyard.There is a balcony on the upper floor and three rectangular windows on both sides.
The walls were built from stone using masonry techniques; the door, ceiling, and windows were originally wooden. On the south facade wall of the main room of the mansion, a wall painting of a flower in a basket is depicted in the niche. The painting was made in 1860 by Kostis Meletiades. There are many mansions and churches painted by Meletiades, one of the most colorful persons of the village: a painter, musician, and poet. There is a historical tambourine at the mansion with an inscription “لازارس ولد واسیل” in Ottoman Turkish, which means Vasil the Son of Lazaros, and “۱۲۳۶”, the year 1820. This note supports that the person who built the house was a Lazaros family man known by the nickname “Maymunoğlu”.